Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The American Dream


The American Dream.  Take a moment or two to think of these words.  What comes to mind?

The pursuit of happiness, perhaps?  What does this mean?

Most will say following that inspiration that lies deep within every single heart.  It means defying the odds.  Believing in yourself.  Contributing to humanity.  Making a mark.

My experience though?  It's less about making a mark, and more about making money.  Of course, I've only experienced America.  And in America, if a person can reach that platform of power, they've conquered the American Dream.  If that truly makes you happy, then by all means, go for it!

Hopefully I can still see you up there on that platform from the hammock I'm kicking back in, in the shade of an evergreen tree in the Rockies or a palm tree in the Caribbean, smoking my Cuban when I'm that old fart, and sipping on the best margarita I've formulated yet.  If I can't see you, maybe I can afford some cheap binoculars to keep in touch.  If you're still out of sight, I might put the binoculars down and work on my next book, write you a letter, or help some folks live and feel better.  Or I'll just take a nap with my lovely wife of 30+ years.  But I can tell you one thing.  I'll be happy.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment